What is a krathong?
A krathong is
- a small floating offering about 15-30 centimeters in diameter
- it is made from leaves, wood of the banana tree and bread dough. Plastic krathongs are no longer permitted.
- The raft is decorated with flowers, a candle and an incense stick.
- People often leave a small coin in the krathong, and occasionally a lock of the hair or nail clippings
- On the night of the full moon people will light the candle and the joss stick, and float their krathong down the river. This is a way that bad fortune can be discarded and made to float away.
Source: own experience from festival in Nov 2023, https://changpuakmagazine.com/en-article/NIGHT-LIGHTS/108671/